Sunday, December 23, 2018

December

Cut back purple fountain grass
2019

Update: Fig tree doing OK, pansies from October are looking overworked, and I have no respect for polka dot plants. Ganges primrose is everywhere, I've moved hibiscus to a pot and it's looking okay in a feeble sort of way. I still see butterflies on the Jamaican porterweed, but the native is doing okay too.  As long as the butterflies enjoy the Jamaican so much, I won't root it all out. Bougainvillea is gorgeous, climbing up the sea grapes.  

Tasks: 

  • Circle the ganges primrose with a whip and a chain, keep them in beds, mulch around if necessary


New plantings:
The fig tree is struggling, down to one healthy leaf.  I can only hope it's hibernating.
I bought yellow and purple pansies, and a white polka dot plant.


In bloom: 

That beautiful and reliable Ganges primrose.  Invasive though it may be (although it still hasn't made the Undesirable List) its blue flowers still enticing bees to its mounded beds.  

The hibiscus in front of me finally began blooming.  I suppose whatever had been eating the buds died in the chillier weather, and now I'm getting a bloom or so every day.

A little bloom on the blue porterweed.  

Bougainvillea is blooming but a little ragged.  I cut it back; it wants to grow up in the sea grapes.

Disasters:
The tenting hit the succulents hard, even the ones that were not under the tent.  We just had a devastating wind but everything stood up to it very well. 

Propagating: 
polka dot plants
indoor herb garden


No comments:

Post a Comment