Saturday, January 29, 2011

Favorite Advice: Pots

I'm poring over the pages of Pamela Crawford's Containter Gardens for Florida.  I love her books. They're full of pictures and info and geared to the beginning Florida gardener. I've always been very lukewarm about container gardening before.  For me, it seemed like kind of hard luck for the plant. It can't send its roots down, and when weather goes extreme, it suffers the most.  I need to get over this plant-as-honored-guest attitude though and start using my shrubbery for my own ends.

What Crawford does not mention (and I read elsewhere) is that it is important to decide what my style of pot is going to be and stick with it. This is kind of a big joke because up to now my style of pot has been the black plastic kind.  Gorgeous container = First step to gorgeous plant.

I differ from Ms. Crawford on the next step.  She is very proud of being able to create massive plantings with umpteen different plants in them. They are very showy, but not what I prefer.

My new formula: Find the perfect containers. Find the perfect plants for the containers. Find the perfect spots for the containers.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment