Monday, January 24, 2011

I only wish -- from Fine Gardening

Click here to enlarge this photo. Click here to enlarge this photo.
Photo: Michelle Gervais

From Fine Gardening: Garden by Deanne Fortnam

" The beautiful 'Morning Light' miscanthus (Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light', USDA Hardiness Zones 4-9) anchors and provides height and texture to the bed in all seasons.  The 'Mrs. Bateman' clematis (Clematis 'Mrs. Bateman', Zones 4-11) makes a beautiful splash earlier in the season when the dinnerplate dahlias and assorted annuals are just getting started. The 'Billy Greene' fuchsia (Fuchsia 'Billy Greene', Zones 9-11) and 'Black and Blue' salvia (Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue', Zones 7-10), as well as all the dahlias, are dug up and stored indoors for the winter. Last summer I grew the beautiful variegated SunPatiens (Impatiens Sunpatiens series, annual) and I am planning to use them again in the coming season. They performed beautifully all season in this full sun location."

Now where do I get these varieties?  Hmmm.

Oh, who am I kidding?!!!  This is the year of the big stuff.  My resolution is to plant nothing that won't grow over 3' tall.  I have to establish some anchors in my garden.  I'm tired of squandering all my labors on puny  little dieaways that leave my yard looking more Saharan than when I started.

Therefore, resolutions for 2011:  Golden Hedge Bamboo; Black Magic elephant ears; yellow mandeville. If I can accomplish that I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment