Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Kanapaha Botanical Gardens

For $6 apiece, Marty and I spent a very pleasant time touring the Kanapaha Gardens near Gainesville.  For the price of your ticket you get bamboo gardens, rose gardens, herb gardens, smelly gardens, water gardens, cactus gardens...  The list is quite lengthy.  This is not a Disney production; there aren't a lot of high intensity labor things like annual flower beds and topiary.  Which made it more inspirational for me.  I love going where all the plants have little labels.  "Why don't you do this at home?" Marty said, looking around. "Put little stakes in front of everything so I'll know what they are."

Lots of overhanging live oaks; waterfalls here and there; lilies (confined with chains to little floating  pond prisons), and an incredible variety of bamboo -- with room for it to grow in clumps three feet tall and to spread all over the acreage.  I had some second thoughts about bamboo on my postage stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment