Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mrs. Greenthumb by Cassandra Danz


 “When you don’t know where to put a flower bed, look for an object in the landscape and plan the design so that the garden is between there and the place where you look at it the most, such as the backdoor of your house. For example, a path leading from the kitchen door to a garden bench is the first step to making a garden, even if it is surrounded by weeds. If you go ahead and enclose the area with a fence or a hedge and plant roses, flowers, or even vegetables along that path and around the bench, not only will you have created a beautiful garden, you will have made a new place to live."

A new place to live doesn't sound bad at all.  Janie's starting to bring home cat furniture. 

1 comment:

  1. It is true. Sometimes all it takes is a landmark and the natural gaze of the eye to decide where to plant a flower bed or other plants. I have found the introduction of objects like fences, concrete benches, bird baths and statutes are great starting points for plants. But mine is a different philosophy to some extent relative to where I live. I believe in the Tao of gardening.
    But even more so my wife Jill does. She lets the plants decide where they want to be. Its a different kind of yard then say my next door neighbor.

    My neighbors yard or land is ruled by the God Apollo. Form and structure in the way of straight lines and right angles. His palm trees and azalea bushes turn corners like soldiers in a parade. His grass, manicured, soaked with "roundup" greets you at the street.
    The sound of his lawn mower greets you sunday morning.
    My yard is ruled by the God Dionysus and is not meant to be viewed not from the out side but to be more experienced within.
    I am not saying my garden id better, but only that we worship at different temples. But then again who am I to speak of the Gods.
    Jane is bringing home cat furniture, gee, now we are talking ancient egypt.

    ReplyDelete