Sunday, May 8, 2011

"Yellow top" or flavia discovered at Twigs and Leaves

Claire kidnapped me for Mother's Day and took me to Twigs and Leaves in its new location next to Roco Traders, at 2131 Central Ave in that lovely new section of renovated midtown.  (I mentioned I wanted to go there for Mother's Day about six months ago and she remembered! So sweet) Always a pleasurable experience, T & L is definitely new and improved.  The plants looked better cared for, although the goldenrod I got was a bit rootbound.  BUT while strolling around looking at authentic & beautiful Fla plants, you also get to take in all the gorgeous planters.  Plus his helper was extraordinarily pleasant.  I fell in love with above plant, unlabeled "because of the rain."  "It's a Yellow Top,"  said the bearded youth.  "It's not a great butterfly plant, but it's excellent for attracting pollinators.  I saw six different kinds of bees on it last year." Wow!  I had to buy it. I knew it was really a type of goldenrod, but it's so lacy and pretty.

Update: Next year: Where's the flavia? It's just a memory now, disappeared from my yard and NOT self seeding.  And the spiderwort described below? Still all over my yard. Lesson: Don't buy things in pots.

And they had a pot of Florida scrub roseling from the spiderwort family for sale for $5.95 even though it grows in my yard like a weed.  "It's a lovely wildflower," said owner MIchael Manlowe huffily. And it is a wonderful blue.  So I resolve to cultivate it in the future; let it grow in the shade, where the blooms don't close so early in the day, and keep it small, because when the clumps get very large, the spent spires are ugly while its roots spread like octopus tentacles.

2 comments:

  1. Travis,

    Thanks for the address to Twigs and Leaves. I think I will take a bike ride down there next weekend. I like what they have done with that area on central ave. The blog is looking good. If I come upon any pictures i'll send them along. stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment! Thanks, Stan, and I'd love to have pix. Marty & I have a date to bike down there this Sat. too.

    ReplyDelete